Friday, October 22, 2010

Chai Tea + Brownies = Epipahny

I just went to the neighborhood coffee shop with a friend and I had a mini epiphany (this particular friend is the source of most of my epiphanies). As we discussed the nature of God and His heart, I began to realize that we affect the way He feels. Just like our worship brings Him joy, our sin must bring Him sadness. Since when you really love someone you want to make them happy not sad it makes sense that scripture says in 1st John: 
This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. I thought about the people I loved who weren't being all they could be, or didn't realize what they had inside of them. Its one of the saddest things to feel, knowing that someone is not living up to who they could be and suffering as a result. Or seeing people go through hell mentally and knowing that you could help them if only they asked.
Then I imagined what it must be like to feel like that about all 6 billion of the people in the world simultaneously, non-stop, everyday. You give them the ultimate sacrifice to save them from their self-destructive selves, and then have to watch them have a hard time trying to decide between life and death. Knowing that some of them will ultimately pick death.
The gift of freedom and peace and the power to turn over all our problems to the only One that can transform our lives is in our hands but we have a hard time opening them to see it. I don't even want to imagine the pain of seeing your children do that. Some do not think God is bothered with the things we do, after all He is God, far away and has bigger things on His mind right? Ephesians 4:30 makes it plain that what we do does affect God.

In Hosea 2, God explains how even though His bride (us) have gone astray and left His marvelous love for worthless things, He still loves us. He's going to be a faithful groom even in our prostitution:

I will punish her for the days she burned incense to the Baals; she decked herself with rings and jewelry, and went after her lovers, but me she forgot," declares the LORD. "Therefore I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her. There I will give her back her vineyards, and will make the Valley of Achor a door of hope. There she will sing as in the days of her youth, as in the day she came up out of Egypt. "In that day," declares the LORD, "you will call me 'my husband'; you will no longer call me 'my master.'(...) I will betroth you to me forever; I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, in love and compassion. I will betroth you in faithfulness, and you will acknowledge the LORD.


But yeah, He's something else, we gave sin, he brought redemption, we are rejecting redemption and receiving punishment but He is still bringing more redemption. There is so much to God's character to see in this scripture. I can't even imagine all the love that you would need to have to make you treat an entire race of people like this.We are in a bigger picture than what we see. Life is not about money and lust and celebrity status. Life is about working for a Kingdom that is larger than life itself. A kingdom that is built by the Most High himself for our inheritance. And even though life is going to twist and bend us in every way, we don't fear outcomes. Why? because our Father runs things. THAT is living large, all this other stuff is as real as monopoly money, and quite painful to deal with.
 

2 comments:

  1. this is really deep O ! kinda powerfull (breaks out bible app on blackberry) lol

    ReplyDelete